The best portable solar panels provide utility for a multitude of activities. They provide renewable, free energy while at home or on the go (or both if you’re cruising in your RV!).
What are the best solar panels for off-grid use?
In general, these systems work by collecting sunlight within the panel itself and are then able to transfer power to a solar generator or electronic device.
Basically, portable solar panels are small-scale solar panels that you can carry with you if need be. They vary in size and weight, making some more prone to camping or hiking than others.
This article will review the best foldable solar panels, with exception to the Boulder 50, that are suitable for your trailer, RV, rooftop, or for extended camping trips where you could use a heavier-duty solar panel than some of the really small ones you can find online.
The solar panels featured below range from 50 watts (Boulder 50) to over 100 watts (all the rest featured) of power per panel.
If you’re looking for a solar charger that is specific to recharging cell phones and other small devices, I recommend checking out my blog post dedicated to this topic.
I answer FAQs and give my top three solar panel choices for small devices here: How Long Does It Take a Solar Charger to Charge a Cell Phone?.
1) Renogy 100 Watt 12V Solar Panel Starter Kit
If you wish to invest in a moveable kit, the Renogy has it all. The brand is known to provide portable solar kits, charge controllers, deep cycle batteries, wires, and inverters.
The Renogy 100 Watt Monocrystalline is a foldable solar panel that is a ready-to-go solution for the off-grid market.
The system includes two 50 Watt monocrystalline 12 Volt panels, an integrated waterproof charge controller that is wired and connected in the backside of the panel, and a 10ft. cable with alligator clips.
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum stand
- Waterproof charge controller
- Compatible with many battery pack technologies
- Can expand the system up to 400 Watts
- Kickstand allows for optimal solar power intake
- Can put out 500+Wh per day in ideal weather conditions
- Weighs 26.6 pounds total – Not ideal for carrying around for extended periods of time
The Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volts Starter Kit includes one of the best foldable solar panels on the market today, allowing you the ability to keep power in your RV running seamlessly and efficiently.
The system comes with updates that allow it to be expanded up to 400 Watts. Under ideal weather conditions, the device can put out over 500Wh per day.
2) Go Power! LLC 120W Portable Solar Panel
The Go Power! LLC 120W portable solar panel is a built-in solution with two 60W monocrystalline solar panels.
The kit includes a 15-foot cable with alligator tabs for batteries and adjustable folding legs to maximize solar power.
You also get a 10-amp PWM charge controller that comes attached to the back of the solar panel to be connected to nearly any lead-acid or lithium battery.
The controller comes with an integrated USB-port for charging mobile devices.
This panel can be installed as a prized solar charging alternative for batteries, particularly among those who wish to have a home, RV, or trailor solution.
- Adjustable legs
- Monocrystalline technology
- Silver anodized aluminum frame
- Up to 120 Watts of power per hour
- 10 Amp solar controller
- Great for on the road lifestyle
- Racks and mounting equipment (to mount to RV, roof, or trailor) are sold separately
The Go Power! 120W Portable Solar Kit is a great device for those who love the road.
The device has a tremendous power output and reliable materials which makes it a very smart investment for any travel enthusiast.
3) HQST 100-Watt 12 Volt Off-Grid Polycrystalline Solar Suitcase
Are you looking for a device that will give you comfort while on the road? You need to look no further than HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline.
This solar panel is built to last and is designed in a way that meets all the user needs. The device is built to withstand extreme weather elements, including wind.
The HQST 100 Watt 12B Volt Polycrystalline panel puts out an impressive amount of energy on a daily basis when the weather is good—normally 500 Watts per day.
This makes it ideal for those who need a panel to power their RV’s. Additionally, this solar panel is resistant to corrosion and is quite durable.
- Corrosion-resistant Aluminum stands
- PMW charge controller with temperature compensation
- Can withstand extreme weather
- Can produce 500+ Watt-hours in ideal weather conditions
- Oddly weighs the exact same as the Renogy kit (26.6 pounds); Not ideal for carrying for long periods of time
The HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panel is quite useful and beneficial to people who want some extra power while on the road.
4) ACOPOWER 12V 105W Solar Panel Kit
When it comes to value in investment, the ACOPOWER Solar Panel Kit offers you a 105 watt panel along with the ability for mobility, as pictured below.
This solar panel is also great for charging campervans, RV’s, boats, cars, and other transportation devices running on minimal power.
It provides powerful and efficient energy that will help in any situation regardless of what you will be using it for. It also comes with a 20-year output warranty, so you should be able to use the device for many years to come.
- 5V USB Port output
- Waterproof solar cells
- Compatible with nearly all lead-acid and lithium batteries
- Able to generate an impressive amount of power
- Comes with a 20-year output warranty
- Easy portability (folds into a quarter of its full length)
- Short cord
- Solar controller not digital
The ACOPOWER 105 Watt solar panel is a good device that is able to produce a remarkable amount of energy.
This solar panel can be used in many scenarios as well, since it is foldable and compact, while maintaining its 105-watt output.
5) Goal Zero Boulder 50 Portable Solar Panel
The Goal Zero Boulder 50 is one of the best portable solar panels for its size on the market today.
It’s a 50-Watt monocrystalline solar panel that features tempered glass, secure corners and an aluminum frame that includes a stand that tilts to just under 45 degrees.
It also comes with a carrying case for convenient transportation.
- Strong tempered glass
- Can charge up to seven devices at once
- Kickstand included for maximum sun intake
- Easy to fold and pack
- Can be paired with any Goal Zero power pack
- Removable kickstand
- Needs a different adapter if using a different battery setup
The Boulder 50 Portable Solar Panel is a simple but efficient device that can be used to charge various batteries, devices, and electronics.
The solar panels listed once again in order are:
Overall, these are some of the best portable solar panels on the market today and can give you an edge when it comes to portable power on the go.
They can make your life easier by providing energy to your battery bank or mobile device, among many other devices and electronics.
Find more information via the links above, and if you have any questions or comments from this review, please leave them below!
Some of the portable solar panels that didn’t make this list, but were close to it were the following:
- The Boulder 200 by Goal Zero – Check it out in my review of Goal Zero’s Boulder series’ solar panels here.
- Inergy Linx solar panels – These are great with the Inergy Kodiak and Apex. Find my reveiw here.
- Sunkingdom solar panel – This is one of the best foldable solar panels for hiking or backpacking. Find the Sunkingdom panel in my review here.